Wednesday, February 25, 2009

NEGATIVE CAN BE POSITIVE

It was nice to have my wife with me as my workout partner last night. It's nice to have someone there to motivate you and help you through your sets when you need a little extra push. It also gave me an opportunity last night to do some negative rep sets. The science behind it is basically that you load up more weight on the bar than you can usually do. Since your body is stronger lowering the bar than it is lifting it back up, you bring the bar down in a slow controlled manner, then rely on your partner to help bring it back up. It sounds silly, but it really splits those muscle fibers and can tremendously help boost your strength and muscle growth. Read a little more about negative reps HERE.

Anyway, I promised earlier today to show you my chest workout from last night. I've got videos on how to do these exercises in my previous chest workout post, so click on a label on your right to go back and check them out. Here you go!!


CHEST/ABS WORKOUT

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
Set 1: 30 pounds, 20 reps (warmup)
Sets 2-4: 45 pounds, 8 reps

Flat Bench Press
Sets 1-3: 115 pounds, 8 reps
Set 4 (Negative Set): 125 pounds, 8 reps

Decline Bench Press
Set 1: 120 pounds, 8 reps
Set 2: 125 pounds, 8 reps
Set 3: 130 pounds, 8 reps
Set 4 (Negative Set): 150 pounds, 8 reps

Incline Dumbbell Flyes
Sets 1-3: 25 pounds, 12 reps

Cable Crossover
Set 1: 45 pounds, 12 reps
Set 2: 50 pounds, 12 reps
Set 3: 60 pounds, 12 reps

Low Pulley Cable Crossover
Sets 1-3: 35 pounds, 12 reps

ABS

Hanging Leg Raises
3 Sets: To failure

Crunches
3 Sets: To failure

Cardio
20 minutes on eliptical. 2 minutes low resistance, 2 minutes high, repeated 10 times.

So that's that. Keep on reading, I'm posting my leg and shoulder workout from tonight in just a minute!!

1 comment: