Wednesday, February 25, 2009

REST IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL (AND THE MUSCLES)

Sorry I didn't post a blog last night. We got home late from the gym and I was totally exhausted. I just had my protein and my dinner and went to bed a few hours later and never got on the computer. I got a solid 10 hours sleep, and it was wonderful. I don't know if I've mentioned it, but getting rest is conducive to good health and muscle building. At least 7 hours a night will assure you're properly rested and it gives your body time to heal better from a hard workout the day before. Your body doesn't grow muscle when you are awake, it grows at night when you are asleep. So get some rest!

So let's get down to it. Today, I can happily say I weighed 271 pounds when I got up. That's 3 pounds in a week. It feels amazing to know that doing what I'm doing is working. I truly thought until a year ago I was destined to keep losing weight and gaining it back and being big all my life. Well, I've found the real key to success, and it doesn't include fad diets and ab rockers. Simply watching what you eat and staying fit can work wonders. And finally I can say with certainty that I'm going to get in shape and stay that way!

Monday, I tried a new "30 minute back workout" I found in my latest issue of Men's Fitness. Many people tend to work on bodyparts they can see in the mirror and pay less importance on things like their back. However, in order to achieve strength and a balanced look all over your body, don't forget to do your back!! I usually train my back and chest on the same day, but a full back routine in 30 minutes was something I had to try!! Here's it is:

WORKOUT
5 minutes on the eliptical to warm up. I used an eliptical with arm movement on this one to give my back a bit of a stretch. Also, don't forget to stretch. I'm not sure if I've mentioned that enough. It can help prevent serious injuries!!

One- Arm Dumbbell Row
Set 1: 40 pounds, 8 reps
Set 2: 40 pounds, 8 reps
Set 3: 20 pounds, 30 reps

*For the 30 reps, choose a weight you can do 20 for sure, but try to push through for 30 reps! 60 seconds rest between sets

Wide Grip Pulldown
Set 1: 80 pounds, 10 reps; 70 pounds, 5 reps; 60 pounds, 5 reps
Set 2: 90 pounds, 10 reps; 80 pounds, 5 reps; 70 pounds, 5 reps
Set 3: 100 pounds, 10 reps; 90 pounds, 5 reps, 80 pounds, 5 reps

*Do 10 reps at max. weight, lighten 10 and immediately do 5 more, lighten another 10 and do another 5. 120 seconds of rest of between sets

Super Set: Standing Rope Pull and Face Pull
Set 1: Rope Pull, 70 pounds, 15 reps; Face Pull, 80 pounds, 15 reps
Set 2: Rope Pull, 80 pounds; 15 reps; Face Pull, 90 pounds, 15 reps

*Rest 120 seconds between sets

Blackburns
Grab a 2.5 or 5 pounds weight plate in each hand and lie on a bench facedown with your head off the end. Extend your arms so they are parallel to the floor and your palms are down (1). Hold for 15 seconds and then your elbows 90 degrees drawing your arms back (2). Hold for 15 seconds and then extend your arms straight out to your sides and holds (3). Now bring your arms to your sides so your palms are facedown (4). Hold for a final 15 seconds. That's one set. Squeeze your shoulder blades together as much as possible in every position.

2 sets: 2.5 pounds, 60 seconds rest between sets.

Cardio
30 minutes on eliptical doing "weight loss" program. Most elipticals have something similar in the pre-set routines. If not, do intervals of low and high resistance for 2 minutes a piece and repeat for 20-30 minutes.

I'm going to post my chest workout from last night a little later today. So check back a little later. See you then!!

1 comment:

  1. As a Freshman, I am always searching online for articles that can help me get further ahead. Thanks a million!

    lipodrene results

    ReplyDelete