Wednesday, February 18, 2009

SUPPLEMENTS..ARE THEY FOR YOU?


There are literally 1000's of different kinds of health and workout supplements.  What exactly is a supplement, though?  My definition of a supplement is a product that comes in pill, powder, or liquid form that aids in a number of different bodily functions as it pertains to working out.  Some of them make you stronger.  Some of them make you have more stamina.  Some of them help with recovery time after a workout.  All of them have their place in the fitness realm, in my opinion.  

What supplements are right for you?  That definitely depends on what you're looking for in a workout.  Here are some of the staples that many bodybuilders and fitness minded individuals use:

PROTEIN POWDERS- There are many different kinds of protein.  Whey, Milk, and Egg are among the more popular proteins out there.  The undisputed king however is Whey Protein.  Whey is one of 2 major proteins found in cows milk (the other being Casein).  Whey is arguably the highest quality and best form of protein.  It contains essential amino acids that help aid the body in achieving optimal performance.  When taken in conjunction with exercise, it helps muscles grow.  

If you're going to pick just one supplement to take, make it Whey.  My brand of choice is GNC Pro Performance Wheybolic Extreme 60.  There are 60 grams in a serving, but I cut it in half and mix it with 8oz. of milk (which contains Casein).  It reacts with my body very well, and I am much less sore after working out when I take it.  Wheybolic is a bit pricey, however.  If you want something cheaper, but still good, try something from EAS or Six Star.  They make high quality, good tasting protein, and it's a very decent price.  Plus, you can find it at most larger grocery stores such as Walmart and Meijer.

CREATINE- In many people's opinion, it's the 2nd most (or even most) important supplement in existence.  Creatine is actually something our body produces naturally.  Check out the science behind it here!  So what does it do?  In a nutshell, it increases lean muscle in a short period of time, aids in overall performance and endurance, and helps with recovery like Protein.  Many bodybuilders take one serving before a workout and one after.  I typically take one serving before lifting and that's it.  My brand of choice is GNC Pro Performance Amplified Creatine 189.  Just like everything else, there's a million different kinds of creatine supplements out there.  Some is expensive, some is much easier on the budget.  But if you want to build some serious muscle, Creatine is definitely for you!!

GLUTAMINE- One of the most abundant amino acids in the body and most popular amino acid for bodybuilders.  Why is that?  Not only is it necessary for proper muscle function, but it's essential for muscle growth.  It elevates growth hormones in the body, and also boosts the immune system and helps your body decrease the risk of overtraining.  When taken before training, you will not fatigue as easily.  When taken after a workout, it helps your muscles recover faster.  I typically take Glutamine twice a day.  On off days, I take it in the morning, and with my evening protein shake.  On training days, one serving before and after working out.  GNC also makes a very good brand of L-Glutamine powder.  Just for the record, I do not work for GNC.  I just enjoy using their products because many are clinically tested and are tried and true products.  Not to mention, they are often cheaper than other brands, which helps a lot!

ARGININE- I consider arginine the most important workout product there is aside from protein.  It is the key to be able to work out to your fullest potential each and every time.  Arginine is also an amino acid, however not one the body creates.  It is a precursor of nitric oxide.  Nitric oxide, in Lehman's terms, causes your vascular system to dilate which in turn causes increased blood flow to muscles.  The more blood your muscles have pumping to them, the harder you can work out and the stronger you feel.  In the long term, Arginine can cause your blood vessels to grow, which helps with speeding up your metabolism and causes nutrients to be more easily delivered to your body.  There are many very good Nitric Oxide products out there.  The 2 I recommend are Gaspari Nutrition Superpump 250 and BSN N.O.-Xplode.  I have used both to great effect.  However, everyone's body reacts differently to N.O. products, so try them at your own discretion.  If it makes you feel bad or causes side effects such as diarrhea, take it back to the store and get something else.  

FAT BURNERS (CAFFEINE)- Everyone has seen the commercials for Hydroxycut, Dexatrim, and Alli.  They all claim to blast fat away at a rapid rate.  So, many people buy them and take them and continue to eat poorly.  Then they wonder why they haven't lost any weight after a month.  In my opinion, fat burners can work.  However, you have to diet and exercise.  I've taken a few different fat burners, and aside from increased energy (most of them have a very high dose of caffeine), I haven't noticed any big results.  I was one of the people eating poorly while taking them, though, so I can't give an honest review.  If you want to try them, the most popular brands are Hydroxycut Hardcore and Lipo6x.  They have similar ingredients, and are both big with bodybuilders.  

STACKING- Many bodybuilders prefer to stack supplements, and I am no different.  To learn a bit more about stacking, check out this article!!  My stack consists of Leucine, Arginine, Creatine, Glutamine, and Protein.  Most people stack 3 to 4 products, but you can create your own depending on what you're looking for in your workout.  

There are so many more supplements I could write about, but I just wanted to get you familiar with some of the basics.  To read further about the subject, check out http://www.bodybuilding.com and surf around.  There's a world of knowledge on there for you to read.  

Well that's it for today, and should be the last of my long posts.  From here on out, I'm going to update you about my progess, my diet, and my training sessions.  I'll be posting lots of great music for you to check out as well.  I hope you are enjoying the blog so far, and I ask that you please subscribe and be sure to follow me on my journey!!  Take care.  See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment